Friday, November 20, 2015

My Gear: Cooking Pots


Next to knives, cooking gear is my largest bushcraft vice.  What else could explain a mental condition where a grown man will watch YouTube videos about billy cans?  Some say psychosis,  I say passion.

My first cook kit ever was one of those aluminum Scout kits,  you know the one with a wing nut holding the fry pan handle on and a tipsy pot.   Every one I've seen had melted pot lit handles and many dents.   These things had to be invented by scout moms intent on discouraging Cub Scouts from wanting to cook over a fire.

Fast forward to the 21st century and the really cool stuff, like stainless steel, titanium and Teflon coated aluminum.  Without even touching on the surplus market,  there are hundreds of great cooking pots.  However,  you can't carry all of it with out a pack mule and sounding like a Civil War Regiment on a road march.

Nessmuk  wrote about a lite weight five piece tin set and a camp kettle in his Woodcraft book.  Even then he stated he would not carry all five pieces on short trips.

  E.H. Kreps carried a No. 0 fry pan and a 1 quart small tinned pail with hay wire bail.  Aloung with a knife,  he felt these were sufficient for up to two people.

Horace Kephart,  when he did go lite,  listed a fry pan or army mess kit, large tin cup, quart pail, and a knife.

All three listed a pail or kettle among the cooking necessities.  The preferred size was 2 quarts or less. The other common item was a knife.   With this they could prepare food for the pan and pot and create other cooking tools as needed.   Unless they drank directly from the pot,  Nessmuk and Kreps must have had a cup of some sort when camping.

Thus we come to my typical bushcraft cook gear.   I like to carry a billy pot of some sort and a cup.  At least one knife is along in my gear,   more often more than one.   Additionally,  I carry a wood spoon I made,  not having time to make a new one every time I'm in the woods.
Steel Cup with Folding Handles





I have tried a few pots,  including home made billy cans,  and all have been adequate for boiling water or cooking.   My all time favorite is a IMUSA grease pot that I fitted with a bail.  It is a good size,  inexpensive, and lite weight.

Old faithful IMUSA Grease Pot
Next in line would be my GSI stainless Steel kettle.  I use this alot at my bushcraft shelter to making tea and coffee.   One could cook in it,  but it is not the best design for it.

GSI Kettle
I also have a large 1.6 Liter MSR Stowaway Pot.  This pot has a locking lid and is great for storing gear in a pack.  I use it when it is more than just me wanting something to eat.
MSR STOWAWAY on right

I recently purchased a Zebra 12cm pot that I have not tested out yet,  but have great hopes for this piece of cook ware.
New 12cm Zebra Pot
IMUSA (left) Zebra (right)

Frying pans and plates have not really been a priority for my packing list.  If I need a plate,  the pot lid usually suffices.  I really don't fry food much and any bread I usually make in the pot or on the coals.

That is what I currently use for my bushcraft cooking,  but camp cookware is right up there with knives.   I would love to see what everyone is using in their kit.

Keep Safe and Enjoy the Fall Season!


No comments:

Post a Comment