Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Becker BK5 Magnum Camp Knife



This is quite a knife!

 I took some time to strip the factory coating from the steel (which is extremely durable), and apply a cold blue finish for added protection.   After using the BK5 exclusively for a couple of weeks now,  I believe this knife does not get enough attention as an woodcrafting  and camping knife.


The edge is wonderful and the ability to choke up enhances control for fine work like wood shavings and feather sticks.


The handle is very comfortable in my hands ( XL glove size),  making it a joy to campcraft with.....




What reviews I've read or watched online,  many seem not to like the sheath that comes with the BK5.  I guess I'm not as experienced with sheaths,  because I  like it.   It attaches to my pack with the MOLLE pack nicely.  The outside pouch seems handy for stuff,  though I haven't settled on what to put in it yet.

I did do some batoning with the BK5 as well (sorry no pictures). The BK5 stood up to the task very well in ~ 2 inch diameter seasoned oak.  I'm not a big fan of batoning,  but it is a comfort to know that a knife will stand up to the task if pressed into service..

No comments:

Post a Comment