Monday, March 2, 2015

Fire Kits: A philosophy of flame.

Fire is the most basic resource humans have on this planet.  Its been around for ever,  it can be life saving or destructive if not controlled or used properly.  Most of us navigate our day not even thinking about it in the least.  Cook our meals,  heat our homes, start our cars....all involve combustion.  It really is intertwined into every human life on the planet.  No matter how advanced humanity becomes,  we still need it.  Take it away and things start to come unglued fast!

Bushcrafters, campers, and other outdoor enthusiasts keep it in the back of their minds ( or least they should).   I keep a simple yet thorough kit in my pack when out in the woods,  and I always carry at least a couple methods of starting a fire where ever I go ( Bic lighter and ferro rod).   My kit includes a couple of dependable fire tinders that will light with a naked flame,  a large Army size Light My Fire Steel,  several lighters, matches, and a flint & steel kit.  I keep all of it in a homemade haversack that goes with me on my outings,  be it hiking, hunting, camping, or fishing.  It is more than a wilderness survival thing   I enjoy a small fire often to make coffee or tea at times and sometimes cook something, even when just out a day hike.  I find that building a cook fire adds meaning to some of these adventures.

The important thing  with a kit is knowing each item and how to use it.  Understanding your ability under different conditions, such as snow, wind, rain, or extreme dryness, is  obtained through practice.

The kit you put together has but one goal each and every time!


No comments:

Post a Comment